Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Restless...

Well, it has been such a busy couple of months, but I am still trying to keep my nervous hands busy. I'm having this problem where if I don't get a minimum quota of personal creative time in a day, I become an outright bit--..nasty person! Seriously - I am completely obsessed and I'm falling apart at the seams. My poor husband - I don't know how he puts up with my stomping and gnashing of teeth while I make dinner and then clean up, and then try to make some sort of lunch for the next day. All this huffing and mumbling and the sourest look on my face that I'm sure will freeze up that way if I'm not careful. Where does this come from? And why now?

I've been listening to sooo many podcasts lately (which I'm sure has a lot to do with it). My absolute favourite right now is craftsanity which was created by a very clever woman in Grand Rapids Michigan. Every week she interviews a different artist/crafter and asks super interesting and challenging questions. It has got to be the most inspiring podcast I've found so far. After I've listened to these interviews, I become more aware of my hunger to be creative. I am also revealing to myself just how deeply I am obsessed with the fibre arts. I now have dreams of quiting my job, dropping out of society for awhile to travel around and then settling down in some small town Canada where I can have a studio and live the very simple creative life. Somehow, with enough courage and perseverance, we will get there! I am determined!

But these changes do happen in a very subtle way...LOL. Baby steps, right? I've been working with my good artsy friends to see if we can't all make some handmade "stuff" for the Christmas craft shows. I had never even thought of a craft show as a means to test out products - but what an excellent way to experiment. I'm not putting any pressure on myself - I just want to create some kind of handmade product line and try to sell it. What the heck! Let's just see how it goes. Here are a couple things I created over the weekend.

Little sweater ornaments...the idea is still in progress. But I like where it is heading.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Also, I made yet another fabric book. I'm still trying to figure out the perfect pattern. I'm not too happy with the trim, but I'll keep trying. I really like the way they are turning out though. I'm learning a lot about colour combinations and what I like and don't like in fabric coordinating. It's simple, but I really enjoy the process.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

And I have been bit by the embroidery bug. I have discover crewel embroidery and when I was at the library last week I picked up 2 books on the basics. I don't have any sort of crewel supplies, but I'll keep with regular left over cross stitch embroidery just to play around.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I don't have much of a fabric stash. But I pulled together a few of my favourites to admire the beauty of colour and design. I have become a huge fan of Amy Butler and I'm dying to order one of her handbag patterns and some more fabric.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Oh, and before I go...I have to share with you what's on my needles right now. Yes, that's right folks, I have been bold enough to try making another pair of socks. Not to worry, I did make sure I have the correct amount of yarn and even better, they are self striping. How fun is that? Talk about magical. You just start knitting and voila! The design appears before your eyes - no batteries required!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Alrighty friends. Thats all for now. I really wish I had more time to actually fix the template of my blog. That will come..eventually. I have so many ideas; I just need time and patience to deal with html...sigh...technology. One more thing to make me angry.

No comments: