Saturday, March 18, 2006

More than just Widgets

Right, so my job isn't ALL about boring widgets. In fact it has serveral perks - like the gym, the starbucks, oh, and a little thing called "down time". Meaning that there are lulls in the schedule, between projects where there isn't a whole heckuva lot to do. Lately, I've been lucky enough to have some of this time. Instead of mindlessly surfing the net and writing emails, we are encouraged to take the opportunity to learn new stuff - new software, tools, modelling/lighting skills, etc. etc. Since I'm in the lighting dept. I decided to brush up on some of my colour theory and composition skills, using our 3D program, Maya. It has been really fun actually. I set up a very simple architectural scene, chose a lighting condition (dusk/night) and tried to light it. It is still in progress since I've only been able to work on it sporatically - but I'd like to share some of these rough lighting studies. I like using the warm and cool colours to break up the space, although I think it is a bit obvious right now...Hope you like - I'll post some more next week (unless the schedule picks up!)



No comments: