Saturday, September 30, 2006

No more apologies...I promise!

It has been a difficult week...and Hubby #1, the regular wonderful man that he always is, bought me a bunch of bee-utiful flowers to brighten my mood. Could the timing be more appropriate? I think not.


There have been a few things on my mind that attribute to my blues, but I don't really want to go into it here because it's personal and I don't think many would be interested in hearing me ramble on about it anyways.
But I will say that work has a huge part of it. Kay and I talk often about our day jobs or I should say "careers", even though in many ways it has become a job. We are both unhappy and looking for a new path. We just need to encourage each other enough to take the next big step! I know we can do it.

I'm so inspired by everything I read on the blogs out there - creative folks living the lives they were meant to lead. Also, listening to Jennifer's podcast this week was just so wonderful - exactly what I needed to hear. And so much encouragement in her final words as she read a snippet of Dr. Suess' "Oh the places you'll go". Yes, change is difficult and always necessary. What a cliche...I'm sure Hubby Hubberson will love to tear into that one!

I've also got a lot of nervous energy welling up in me. I'm acting a little erratic lately; somewhat obsessive about blogging and commenting, and blogging some more. I think I'm just wound up about our vacation coming up in 8 days! Gosh, I'm so unbelievably nervous and excited all at the same time. Hubby and I were discussing my blog over a pint and some pizza last night - and we had this conversation...

Hubby: you have to stop apologizing on your blog
Sally: But I don't want to offend anyone! Otherwise they won't come back...
Hubby: Stop apologizing - you are cluttering up your space
Sally: Sigh...but -
Hubby: Stop apologizing. It is your space and your voice. No need to apologize.
Sally: ...

He so has a point here. Where would I be without Mr. Hubby? He makes me a stronger person and helps me maintain my true self. All that and he can make me bust a gut laughing for hours with a wickedly dry sense of humour. Some days I wonder... how did I ever get so lucky!

So, there you have it folks. No more apologies and for this next week I'm going to focus on knitting more of these swatches to take my mind off my blogging OCD. I'm going to start knitting a tea cozy for my mom when I get back from Europe and I need to brush up on colour knitting skills.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such nice things you say. In reality though, the conversation was much more slurred and punctuated with intermittent beer burps:
"Stop [belch] apologizin' dammit"
"Why for [bweeet]?"
"I dunno [braaaak] 'cause it.... hey, is that a butterfly?"

I recall the conversation being more like that, but that's just me.

Knit away, happy knitters.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you've got a good man there - I think laughter is the cement that holds all the great relationships together - it certainly keeps my feet on the ground and wakes me up to what's really important in life. Sorry to hear you're down, hang in there, sometimes good things happen when you least expect them. Love your knitted swatches - especialy the checkerboard one - I've never really managed to knit anything like that without it bunching up in funny places!

Ken Dyck said...

Anybody who works in a cubicle for any length of time is bound to get at least a little bummed out by it. I know I have.

Some things that I've found helpful are:
* Paul Graham's essay, How to Do What You Love
* Po Bronson's book, What Should I Do With My Life?, and
* the movie, Office Space

What I've realized lately is that it's okay not to love my job. I find my satisfaction outside of work. And until I see some way to support myself by doing something I really love, I'm happy to sit back and be entertained by the absurdity of the office.

Anonymous said...

Dear Sally's hubby, Your recall of the conversation reads like a case inside Tannen's classic You Just Don't Understand: Men and Women in Conversation? (big smile) I think that book saved my neck a few times. (smile)

Dear Sally, As a new fan of your blog and drawings, I missed your "apologizing" phase completely. (smile) I come here to enjoy your voice and your creative expressions (paintings, pictures, etc.), so just be yourself.

Have a great holiday and happy knitting.

Kempton

Anonymous said...

Wow! You are a very clever crafty type! I'm very impressed by your knitting. They look like pretty swatches indeedy. And thanks for dropping by my blog too. Much appreciated!

staceyinchina said...

i stumbled onto your blog because, i, too, shrunk a sweater. I suggest reading The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. I.. *ahem*.. haven't finished it, but so far the message is that there are some people that take the easy way out in their lives, and there are some people that pursue their dreams. The book is basically about one boy that follows his dreams and how the universe contrives to support him in his choice. It's very good.
Good job with the blog :)
STacey

flossy-p said...

I know exactly what you mean by feeling as though you might offend people and they won't come back. Everytime I write "Oh My God", or "God only knows" etc, (which I feel like I do a lot) I shudder at how many people I may offend. But I can't help it, and I'm actually doing pretty well considering how much of a potty-mouth I usually am. (Seriously, my language could curl hairs sometimes.)

Anyway, don't worry, we get it.

Hope you're feeling a little more perky now. (don't worry about having a good winge to us either if that's what you feel like. We'll still like you, you know, and it makes for a juicy read!)

Kay Darby said...

Hey there my Mighty Friend,

As you know, I can TOTALLY relate. Thanks to some very supportive and inspiring conversations with you, I've been able to push through and find some potential avenues to keep me sane and looking forward to a brighter future.

You're a great friend! Together we'll figure something out. ;)

~Kay